Hello, hi, it’s me, Adam. I’m not sure how many people read this blog regularly anymore as opposed to people reading random posts from Google searches (lots of people want to know about Avianca and TAP business class for some reason). I am going to continue to plow through trip reports from my January trip around the world — expecting about 7 or 8 more posts still. It’s time-consuming, especially given how many pictures I have to edit. Plus, I have a busy job that has me writing a lot and when I get home sometimes I just want to lay on the couch and watch my Housewives.
Anyway, I have a busy summer travel season coming up and thought I’d share in advance with you all to see if you had any tips:
- In May, I’ll be heading to Malaga and Torremolinos, booked during a mileage flash sale using Delta Skymiles, and taking advantage of the JFK-AGP direct flight. Will be based in Torremolinos but any tips for either city welcome.
- In June and July, I’ll be heading to Slovenia, starting in Ljubljana with some day trips (Bled and Bohinj?), splitting my time between the Intercontinental and Four Points, then driving to the Slovenian coastal town of Piran, before ending with two nights in Venice, staying at the fancy Gritti Palace. I’ll be flying SAS IAD-CPH, then Adria Airways CPH-LJU, on an Avianca redemption. The return burns off the rest of my Iberia miles from their crazy promo last year, VCE-MAD-JFK. Tell me what I must see, especially with only 1.5 days in Venice.
- I have two trips to Minneapolis planned: once for Pride, and once for the State Fair, with a leg on Sun Country Airlines- a first for me.
- For Labor Day, I’ll be going to Paris and Luxembourg. My first time in the latter, and first time solo in many years to Paris. Would love some tips beyond the major tourist sights. Still sorting out Paris hotels, but the Park Inn in Luxembourg seems like a good use of points. It was a cheap open-jaw fare on Air France (and Luxair), and will be my one coach Europe trip this summer.
I also just booked two trips for the winter- way ahead of time, with plenty of time to plan, but that means I need suggestions even more!
- For New Year’s, I’ll be spending five nights in Ireland. Thinking two nights in Dublin, two nights somewhere else (thinking either west to Galway or north to Belfast?), and then New Year’s Eve in Dublin before returning on an early New Year’s Day flight. Pretty cheap flight on Virgin via LHR (and connections on Aer Lingus and BA)
- For my big winter trip, I’m going to try Japan- a major hole in my travel experiences. I’ll have a full 10 days there, which I imagine I’ll split between Tokyo and Kyoto/Osaka, with maybe one or two nights elsewhere in between (Hiroshima?) I was able to get a pretty decent routing. I’ll be flying from JFK in business on Japan Airlines to Haneda on the outbound – though the elimination of AA’s DCA-JFK flight means I may have to do a night at the airport the night before which is silly. On the return, I’ll be doing Kyoto to Narita to Dulles in ANA’s business class. (With currently planned trips, I’ll be getting 5 new airlines, which will bring me to 74!)
So, yeah, those are the plans. I’ll try and keep you posted, and pound out the rest of my Chiang Mai and Hong Kong posts soon. But feel free to say hello in the comments and share any tips or thoughts!